Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Picking out a new tree

With all the carnage [neighbors cutting down trees] in recent weeks, the privacy that I use to enjoy in my back yard has been greatly reduced. Admittedly I have contributed to the destruction to a lessor extent but I plan to redeem myself a little bit by planting at least one tree near the property line in order to get some privacy back.

So I'm trying to decide what type of tree(s) I should purchase for planting. I'm really considering evergreens because of the screening that they would provide. The second type that I'm considering is an ornamental variety so they won't grow to large and overhang the house thus becoming a potential hazard.

I will need to take the cost into consideration as finances this year have been challenging.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please also consider a native tree from your area. Generally you should need to water it less and you might even get some native birds come and visit your tree.

Surfin' Sid said...

Thanks for the input. I will consider native trees.

Marti said...

another possibility is a vine or ivy of some sort if you have a fence.Also if it is a flowering vine like morning glories it will attract humming birds. Trees have dangerous potential if there is wind and if it falls in your neigbors yard you may be liable. trees planted near property lines should be deep root trees as short rooted trees may fall in storms. If you want shade and the ability to block second story views of your backyard then don't plant along the property line and any tree should be ok. I have heard of some nasty agruements between neighbors over trees planted on property lines. All the best....and hope you canb enjoy your privacy soon.

gLoR!e said...

i am not into trees but i like them:)

u can check my healthy diet now..see u there!:)

Anonymous said...

We recieved a tiny Bradford Pear tree as a housewarming 11 years ago and it grew so quickly and provides privacy and beauty :-)

BTW thank you for being the first advertiser on my new blog! :-)

Surfin' Sid said...

Cin, you are welcome. Thanks for the comment!