Monday, August 11, 2008

Yard work guilt

On Saturday I spent several hours mowing, cutting up a fallen tree and pruning several other trees on my property. As I was working in the back of my mind I was feeling guilty. Not for cutting up the fallen tree [it had fallen during a storm last fall but it was out of site out of mind]. Guilty because of the pruning, which would have little impact on the planet's greenhouse gas levels, and because the pruning turned into the act of cutting down a small tree. As you may know when a tree is cut down all the CO2 that it had been storing is returned, over time, to the atmosphere.

The tree was technically on my neighbor's property but 99% of it over hung my property and it was going to overhang my house if I let it continue to grow. In addition to the small tree I trimmed several trees whose branches hung low to the ground. The yard looks better but is that Mother Nature glaring down on me? Am I a hypocrite?

1 comment:

MrAdventure said...

Yeah, the hard part about living in "civilization" is that we now have to take over the work from Mother Earth and do it ourselves.

On top of that, most of it is barely useful anyway. Fences and roads cut off any real wildlife from their homes, and even nice gardens are artificial contrivances.

Don't worry, just do what you can. If we're doomed, we're doomed.